Monday, July 14, 2008

The Day my SpeadStream 5360 DIED


RIP 2000-2008
Looking over at my Speadstream 5630 a couple days ago I wondered how much Internet data had traversed its circuits over the years. I have been the proud owner of this dsl modem for at least 8 years and pushed it to its limits. I moved up through every speed package available at Ameritech and At&t. I can only image that many terabytes of information passed through the Cat 3 cables in to the unit and out the cat 6 cables to my router. I have purchased 5 different routers over the last 8 years but my trusty Speadstream never failed me, that is until a few days ago.
I started to notice my internet connection was dropping something that had not occurred for years. The connection would be fine all day when I was using it but when I awoke the next morning I would find it looking for a dsl signal. This went on for about a week and after upwards of 10 reboots it would reconnect to the world wide web.
Today was the day my SpeadStream died. I awoke to see flashing lights on all the leds and after 20 reboots and 1 hour with tech support, I pronounced it dead around 12:30am eastern time. Its a sad day in the Conroy home office. Work came to a screeching halt as I tried to revive the modem for my morning vpn into work. I had to resort to using my blackberry on the Sprint EVO network to get back up and running. The SpeadStream might have not been as flashy as my routers, pc's, or video game consoles that it sat next to, but it was one of the most used tech products in the house.
I will temporarily be using my sisters dsl modem until I can finalize my Uverse installation. The SpeadStream days were numbered before its untimely passing, as Uverse went online here in Dayton today. Maybe it was fate that the old modem saw its time was coming and decided to move on the same day I placed my order for the new highspeed service. I will continue to put the SpeadStream to good use as a paper weight on one of my office desks. This seems to be a fitting tribute instead of pitching it in the trash.

No comments: