Sunday, July 20, 2008

Long Live the Netopia Cayman 3546-002

The Internet is back up and running thanks to Netopia! The untimely death of my SpeadStream 536o left me staring at my computer without Internet access for the last couple days. I was able to get a Netopia 3546-002 and configure it in bridge mode to connect to my 3com router. The back of the Netopia has 1 dsl port and 4 Ethernet ports.
I tried setting up the Netopia to be the main hub of the house and use my 3com router for wireless access. This turned out problematic as the pinhole settings on the Netopia didn't work as good as the port forwarding on my 3com. I played around with the settings for about an hour and decided it was best to just configure the Netopia to bridge mode and use the full power of my 3com. The Netopia basically gets the dsl signal and lets my 3com log on using the PPPoE configuration for dsl.

The Netopia does have some diagnostics it can do to test my Internet signal and also tells me the speed that it is connected at. Currently it is saying downstream 6016 and upstream 768. These are the specs that I am paying for and after some signal tests it looks like my Internet is back in action.

Hopefully the Netopia will last until I can get my Uverse installed and bump my Internet up to 1000.

No comments: