Sunday, July 13, 2008

General Electric Experiences

I started at General Electric in early 2005 as a Telecom Manager / Systems Analyst. My daily tasks involve working tickets in the Cadre ticket system for telecom related issues. This is the support aspect of my job function and I regularly work as the lead systems resource for Ge telecom projects. I work on all aspects except physically placing telephones on users desks. This includes programming the call management system, add stations, coverage paths, ip addresses for all components, Ars and Ana dialplan analysis, 800 number routing to vdn level, and creating all mailboxes. I am in charge of pretty much all programming aspects of call center acd equipment.
My previous job trained me to be an expert installer and trouble shooter of all Avaya pbx components. My current position has taught me how to do all the software translation using this equipment. Knowing how all the components talk to each other helped me learn quickly what needs to be programmed to make them function properly. I enjoy working on the Avaya Call Management System (CMS). This system keeps track of vdns that are monitored, call center agent data, and skill traffic. I usually add dictionary items for qdw naming, copy and create custom reports, and add new CMS supervisor ids and provide that appropriate access for them. This also includes resetting supervisor id passwords. I work with various sites around the country scheduling backups and making sure they run properly. The CMS is a key component in a call center and understanding how it works is very important for gathering metrics about agents.
On the pbx side I program all aspects of Avaya Communication manager. This includes copying and recording announcements for Val boards and TN750 boards. I routinely manual record announcements from sites that are not using val boards and convert them to the proper val board format. Many of my colleagues ask me for assistance in transferring these files. I am currently in charge of making sure all the sites pbx time is within acceptable parameters, and if not update them after hours. Since I oversee about 20 sites, I depend on my site contacts to give me updates. I have used every version of Communication manager, and while at Avaya worked on pre Communication Manager software versions. Most sites I work on are Avaya 8700's to 8720's and require me to keep documents specific to their current versions. Avaya likes to change Linux commands occasional so I really look at the change docs. When I call Avaya for support I usually ask for the latest cheat sheets on command line commands to continue to keep my information as up to date as possible. If something is customer changeable on Avaya systems, I have probably done it.
I have worked all over America in the past three years. I have been to Montreal, New York, Atlanta, and even Albuquerque. These experiences have helped me learn a new level of professionalism. I have become key components in projects, and the work that I accomplish is required for success. I am the main point of contact for Avaya, Nice systems, Combest, and other third party companies when working on projects. I need to provide our third party contacts the appropriate information by the required dates to make project deadlines. This pressure has helped me learn how to prioritize my time, and work in virtual teams.
I work mostly from home in my current position since all my programming is done remotely. I often work late hours because of maintenance windows but I don't mind because my home office is large and I can kiss my wife goodnight. My home office rivals that of executives with a 37 inch LCD screen to work on, 2 desktop pc's, 3 laptops, 1 Proliant server, 2 laser printers, and a fax machine. A wireless N router with gigabit lan ports provide access to the internet using DSL Elite from At&t. I have file cabinets and a large closet to keep papers for projects I am currently working on. I usually go to the office to get mail, talk with co-workers, and get supplies. When I am traveling my Blackberry 8830 world edition keeps me connected to emails and instant messages. I really enjoy my job and work with many great co-workers. There is a culture at GE that is great and diverse. I am proud to call many of the people I work with friends, including ones that I may never meet who live thousands of miles away in India.

No comments: